Requirements & Resources


Review the requirements, forms and documents you'll need. Print your application,
single-sided, on plain, 8.5 x 11 white paper using either a laser or inkjet printer in black ink.

Name Change

  • If your passport was issued less than one year ago, use form DS-5504.
  • If your passport was issued more than one year ago, use form DS-82.



ALL APPLICANTS FOR PASSPORT NAME CHANGE must include the following documents in your package:

Your current US passport book.

Submit the original, not a copy.

US Passport Form DS-5504 or US Passport Form DS-82. US Passport Application Form

  • The application must be created online at then printed and signed with a pen-to-paper signature in black ink. The signature must match the signature in your current passport.

When completing the About the Applicant section of your passport application form, list your current legal name as it should appear on your new passport.

One NEW passport-style color photograph. Passport Color Photograph

  • The photo must be on high-quality photo paper with a white background, taken within last six months.
  • Must be 2″x2″ with face measuring 1″ to 1 3/8″ from top of head to chin.
  • Photos must be clearly different from photos in any previously issued passports.
  • You must have a neutral expression with closed lips. Your eyes must be open.
  • No glasses, uniforms, or hats are allowed, except for religious headgear. You must include a signed letter explaining that the item is worn daily for religious reasons.

Proof of known or anticipated travel plans.

  • Copy of airline reservation showing applicant’s name,
  • Copy of crewmember trip sheet, or
  • A business letter (on company letterhead) stating that a passport is required for travel. This letter must signed by a representative of the company other than the applicant with an original pen-to-paper signature and must specify the applicant’s departure date(s) and destination(s).

Proof of name change.

Submit both of the following documents:

  • The original document or a certified copy of your Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Court Order for Name Change.
  • A photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s license showing your new name.

Government Fees.

Submit a check or money order payable to “US Department of State”

  • $170.00 if your passport was issued more than one year ago.
  • $60.00 if your passport was issued less than one year ago.

Letter of Authorization, emailed separately to you after consulting a travel specialist.

The Letter of Authorization (LOA) allows us to represent you to all agencies involved in issuing your passport. The signature on the LOA must be an original pen-to-paper signature in blue or black ink, and must match the signature on your current passport and your application form. No faxes, scans or copies will be accepted.